Paul was born Paul Percival Reeds in Cobourg, Ontario, August 11th, 1927. 
One of 16 children born of Percy and May Reeds, Paul grew up in the depression years. The family was extremely poor. His Dad was a millwright for a local steel company and was considered a real “Jack-of-all-Trades”. He could make or fix anything. Not having much money, his talents were put to good use making toys at Christmas for his large family. Mom May was the champion tea drinker of all time, and worked tirelessly to make sure all sixteen were clean, fed and in line.

Paul adored his family. His family roots and memories became a powerful tool for his craft later in life.

While he only had a grade six education, he had a huge thirst for knowledge. He had a voracious appetite for reading that lasted his entire life. As I grew up I was amazed to see him devour books at the rate of 2 to 3 a week. He read widely, loved poetry and especially liked the books by Kahlil Gibran, such as “The Prophet”.

When Paul was 18 he met a lovely young lady named June Lois Cook. June was at a local dance in Peterborough with her best friend. Paul walked in with his best friend and was somewhat inebriated. Nevertheless when he laid his eyes on June he said to his friend Ed, “I’m going to marry that girl!” 

June had seen this handsome but drunk man come in and whispered to her friend Betty, “I hope he doesn’t come over here and ask me to dance!” Well he did, and she danced with him and it started a love story that would last until his untimely passing at an all too young age.

Paul Reid - A Short Biography

A promotional shot from CJAD Montreal

Circa 1970

The Wedding Day

Bill Jones, June,

Grandmother Lil Cook and Paul

Paul’s career in broadcasting began in Peterborough at CHEX.

He basically annoyed the station manager enough to give him a chance. The manager told Paul that if he would learn good diction and enunciation he would give him a shot. Paul practiced announcing by reading the newspaper aloud everyday until he learned speech rhythm, intonation, diction, enunciation and the most elusive of arts, phrasing and timing. He got his shot and his career was born.

He became a popular announcer and did everything he could to widen his expertise. He called play by play for the local Lacrosse league, hosted a radio feature called “Uncle Paul’s Children’s Hour, (much of which he wrote as well) and began to develop his on-air persona. He was fired from that job. Legend has it that his penchant for practical jokes and a racy Children’s Hour laced with double entendres for the adult listeners were the culprits.

He was soon hired away by CHML in Hamilton, Ontario. CHML was a power house AM station and the move was to be a good one for his career. It was 1954 and at this point June and Paul had two sons, Gregory Paul and Michael Patrick and the family moved to Steeltown.

Hamilton was a hotbed for radio due to its proximity to Toronto and Buffalo. It had to compete with a major Canadian market and a huge market blasting in from the United States. CHML proved to be the farm league for radio in larger markets, cultivating such legendary broadcasters such as Dave Patrick, Joe Cannon, and Paul Hanover. A competing station, CKOC, groomed another future CJAD star, the consummate morning man, George Balcan.

In Hamilton, Paul’s career took off. He started reading poetry on the air. His romantic selection of music and love poetry enthralled a generation of listeners. One of his many shows was “Nightcap”, which allowed him to program his own music and do what he wanted. He loved that show and the freedom of expression it brought.


CHML Poster for the Top 40 Show circa 1958


He also began writing. Notably, he wrote a radio series entitled, “Count Your Blessings”. These were initially just some program time fillers. Short vignettes of one to two minutes that encouraged listeners to take stock of their lives and appreciate what they had. They became so popular that a local company decided to sponsor them.

This is the cover for the charity release of

Count Your Blessings

For more on Count Your Blessings click here >

Oddly enough, for a man so engaging on the air, Paul was painfully shy in public. CHML had a booth in downtown Hamilton for live remotes. Paul had to do many Saturday afternoon shows there. He called it a “Goldfish Bowl” and hated announcing while everyone gawked at him through the windows. I remember my brother Greg and I stopping by sometimes on the way back from the movie house, and making faces at him through the glass.

He also was extremely nervous having to speak in public. I remember an ethnic festival that was held at the Hamilton Forum and all of the on-air personalities from CHML had to make an appearance in their bright red CHML crested blazers. Dad was a wreck having to go on stage in front of hundreds of people.

The family grew larger with Kimberly and Jamie. We outgrew the apartments downtown and rented a house in Winona, east of the city in the Niagara fruit belt. A fifth child, Robert was born and the family loved life in the country.

Paul loved to exercise and walk. He would walk to work a couple of times a year, a distance of 13 miles. People thought he was nuts. It was one of the things that made him wonderful to us kids.

We would vacation at grandma’s house in Peterborough and rent a cottage on Chemong Lake. Dad would swim the lake once each holiday. One mile across, a half hour rest and one mile back. This made Mom worried sick because there were many power boats on the lake. We kids would watch and follow the powerful kick splashes and flashes of arms as he did a championship style front crawl.

Paul and his wife June at the cottage,

Chemong Lake,

near peterborough, Ontario.  circa 1959

His radio notoriety soon spread further a field and he received a call from H.T. (Mac) McCurdy, the station manager for CJAD of Montreal (until he left to become the president of Standard Broadcasting in the mid-1970s.) Paul was enticed to the big city and what was considered one of the top three AM stations in the country. The year was 1964. The Beatles invaded, and the Reid family pulled up roots and moved to Quebec.

The trauma of this large move was soon dispelled by the magic that was Montreal in the 60’s. Expo 67 was on the horizon; the city was clean, modern, progressive and full of a spirit that was (and still is) unlike anyplace else on this earth.

Paul thrived on this city. He embraced its differences. It gave him newfound insight for his talent and artistry. His show, “Paul Reid’s Wonderful World of Music”, was an instant rating success. He became well known on and off the air. I remember one of his colleagues said, “Paul Reid owns this city.”

CJAD Publicity Photo taken on the rooftop of

the 1407 Mountain Street studios circa 1967

It is here that the last child, Michelle was born. Dad was so tickled by her arrival he played the Beatles song “Michelle” 10 times in a row. His listeners loved it. The switchboard lit up and Montreal was in love with this hopeless romantic with the deep voice and sentimental values.

Paul soon was in great demand for radio and television spots. The National Film Board of Canada hired him to voice many documentaries. He even was persuaded to do an on camera TV spot for the Royal Bank of Canada. He played a bank manager and I remember he was nervous for a week before the gig.

An American documentary house, Wolper Films, wooed him to be the “Voice of Wolper.” It meant moving the family to California and Paul would not do it to his family. He politely declined the offer.

Paul was at the zenith of his career. He could do no wrong and the city embraced his talents.

It is here that his legendary Christmas show took on its form. He had always done something special at Christmas but in Montreal the show took on a life of its own and became his most popular piece ever.

This was the LP that was released as a result

of the wild popularity of the Christmas Show

              For more on the Christmas Show go here >

He became the Announcer Representative for CJAD and a father confessor for anyone who worked in the industry in Montreal. He had large shoulders to cry on and was a great listener. He would go to bat for people and lobby for raises or fairness and change. But when it came to himself he would humbly say, “just give me what you think is fair.”

That Paul was a man of the people was never in doubt. He had the common touch. He became a consummate interviewer. He met and talked on air with all manner of famous people, politicians, actors, singers and the like but one of his most memorable evenings was when he had to take a cab to work when his car was in the shop. He talked to the cabbie for the 20 minutes it took to get to the station and then had the driver come on the air with him so that Montreal could hear first hand what the life of a cabbie was like in Montreal. They yakked for the whole show in between songs and it made a memorable piece of radio.

Reid’s former co-worker and newscaster, Tom Armour, described the magic of a Paul Reid show:

“The really wonderful thing about working with him is that you had no idea what was going to happen next on the show.  Monday to Friday it was usually music and then later poetry and romantic music late at night, but there was no guarantee that was every night. I mean Gordon Lightfoot might come in one night and they’d sit and laugh for three hours, Tony Bennett one night. Anyone who came to town, if he could get them in for an interview; a lot of sports personalities, Paul loved sports.  A program that was designed with music and poetry in mind all of a sudden would be tossed aside you know while Bernie Faloney the quarterback would come in and talk football strategy for two and a half hours. But people didn’t seem to drift away from that. From English Radio in Quebec “

From Mountain to the City”: A Brief History of CJAD by Melanie Fishbane and Mary Vipond

When the Montreal Expo baseball franchise came to town they had nobody to broadcast their games. They approached CJAD and offered them money in order to get on the air. This meant several nights a week in season. Mac McCurdy said he would have to ask Paul before deciding. Dad wondered out loud what it would do to his audience. As a testament to what Mac thought of Paul and his art, he turned the Expos down and they went across town to CFCF.

In 1968 he recorded his first album of poetry entitled “A Letter To My Love”. It was an immediate success and led to other recordings such as “The Snow Goose”

The original cover art for the LP

A Letter To My Love

         For more on “A Letter To My Love” go here >